Students Trained & Placed
Sq.Ft.of training area
Worldwide Alumni Network
Kitchen Training Facility
UP to Scholarships
International & National Internships only at 5-star Properties
One to One Corporate Mentorship
An Entrepreneurial Culture at the Campus
Dignified with Rankings
Amongst India's most promising Hotel Management Institute by Higher Education Review 2022
Ranked Top Hotel Management Institute awarded by Times Education Icon 2022
An interior designer beautifies a space by striking the right balance between conveniences and making it pleasing to the eyes of the user. In recent times, an increasing number of creative candidates are turning to the career of interior designing to showcase their designing skills and innovative creations. But what does it take to become an interior designer? Which degree should you pursue to start your career in the designing field?
Here are a few interior design degree courses which will take you a long way.
Interior Design is an Art and Science that revolves around the aesthetic designing of interiors. As an interior designer, one not only gets the opportunity to design space but also plan, develop and execute site development.
Interior designers are required to master researching, planning, developing, and implementing designs for indoor residential and commercial spaces. Due to our rapid development rate, Interior Designing is a popular profession in India.
Do you wish to study at an Interior Design school after your 12th grade? If yes, then this article is for you!
Interior designing courses
Although candidates have a choice between diploma and degree courses, most of them go for an interior course since it ensures a better understanding of the techniques and tools used for design.
You may opt for one of the following interior design bachelor degrees to get started as an interior designer:
- B.Sc.- A B.Sc interior design is a three-year undergraduate course that teaches students how to design comfortable spaces and deal with the planning process of the interiors of commercial or residential buildings, including apartments, houses, and bungalows. Candidates are required to pass an entrance exam from the available options of AIEED, NID DAT, CEED, and NATA in order to get admission in a B.Sc. course. On successful admission, they are exposed to extensive knowledge of basic and advanced interior design via a BSc interior design program. The most common career options after completing this program include visual merchandiser, interior designer, furniture designer, exhibition designer, and many more.
- B.Des.- The interior design course duration for a Bachelor of Design is four years and is offered in the specializations of interior design, furniture design, or ceramic design. It deals with balancing creativity and pragmatic thinking to achieve unique and customer-oriented designs. The eligibility for this interior design bachelor’s degree is the completion of 10+2 in Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, and Biology.
- B.F.A.- A Bachelor of Fine Arts with a major in interior design aims to provide knowledge on how to design a space while providing a theme that gives meaning to the place. Interior design schools offer this program including a detailed study of the principles of design, space planning, colour theory, and drafting of designs using industry software. This interior design degree also imparts practical skills by encouraging students to work on live projects thereby leading to the development of their analytical skills.
Students who face a time constraint in committing to programs with a three or four-year duration can opt for diploma courses in interior designing to fulfill their requirement of formal education. Although you are less likely to get your dream job with diploma courses, they are considered an important asset just like a BSc interior design degree.
How a BSc interior design course can improve your market value
Interior designing has become a much sought-after career in recent times owing to its increasing popularity amongst builders and house owners. Aspiring interior designers are enrolling themselves in courses to give their careers a boost and increase their job prospects.
Let us get into the course details for an interior design program-
- Overview of interior designing course-
After the completion of grade 12, a candidate can opt for an interior design course by enrolling in one of the best interior design schools in India. The eligibility for getting admission to a good designing college is to pass an entrance exam specific to each college. The syllabus for interior designing courses is similar for each college with subtle differences in specializations.
An individual can opt for a one-year diploma course after the 12th grade to learn the basic techniques of designing using different computer software. A much detailed course is a B.Des. in interior design which aims to impart knowledge about the latest market trends and enables a candidate to work independently by establishing their own interior design business. The interior design course duration is three years and most colleges offer placements to students at the end of the program.
Bachelors of interior design course details are as follows:
- The average fee of an interior design course is INR 1,00,000 per year.
- The salary earned by an interior design graduate is approximately INR 500,000 per annum.
- There are various specializations offered in a graduation program such as lighting design, commercial interior designing, space planning, sustainable design, and many more.
Most interior design schools also offer postgraduate designing courses like M.Des. and other postgraduate diplomas to be pursued after graduation. A post-graduation degree or diploma enables an individual to widen their career options and also gives them a choice to start their own firm. Working independently gives you the freedom to work from home anytime anywhere and during the coronavirus pandemic, it has been helpful in avoiding going to crowded places for client meetings.
To sum it up, it is quite evident that an interior course can help you increase your market value by giving you more career options to pick from. An employer considers a degree-holder as a valuable asset to the organization and retains them owing to their skillset and technical knowledge.
With growing competition in the designing industry, recruiters want to employ the best candidates out of the lot and hence give more importance to a bachelor of interior design degree in comparison to a diploma course. If you are an aspiring interior designer, consider pursuing a B.Sc in interior design to increase your market value and stand out in the crowd!